2004- pre denmark

Over the past week or so I've been thinking about what has occured over the past few years in my life, especially since coming to Denmark. It seems that finally life is starting to gain some type of rhythm. And i guess i would like to share a bit of my story.
At the end of 2003 i was cut from the AIS (australian institute of Sport) residental program as a junior team player, this was a massive blow for me for in Australia for indoor volleyball this was the only real place you were able to train as a full time athlete. I'm still unsure as to why this happened, inevitably it was sure to due with money, but i still never really got a full answer. Still the hardest thing of all was leaving the 8-10 guys who i had lived with for a year and a half, it was more like leaving a family of brothers rather than just good friend.
Subsequently i was sent home and went through the hardest year of my life. I became involved in the Beach volleyball program which was luckily enough based in the city i live. I loved playing beach, but in the back of my mind indoor was always my game, and i hated only really training indoor maybe 1 time a week. Beach was tough too early morning weight sessions and trainings coupled with first year university and working made it all very tough. I quickly ran into bad financial difficulties due to my car and other things, as well as various family troubles that come along in various stages of everyones life.
Well the turning point came when i was invited to play Asian Junior Championships in Qatar in around September. Having barely trained in indoor or beach due to Uni commitments I was worried about being able to play at all, let alone as a starting opposite! And with the national team assistant coach as coach of the junior team there was a lot of pressure to perform and earn some brownie points. Well as it turnt out I played off my tree, to that time the best volleyball I had ever played in my life. Actually ended up become the go-to outside in the team, in one 5 set game I recall hit upward of 55 balls in the game. As the tournament went on it wasnt quite as good as the first 3-4 games but i guess the point had been made. It was here I learnt much about myself and how strong the mental side of volleyball, or any sport is.
Well this seemed to get the ball rolling, i was invited back to the AIS for 2005, I think i was only the first or second athlete ever to retain a scholarship. After i slight hiccup with some shoulder surgery within 6 months I was in the Senior mens team (only 18 months after being cut from the junior program) This is probably the highlight of my life, for me playing in a senior team for your country is what i have wanted to do since I was 6 years old. Well with a few tours with the senior team and some good matches under my belt I was able to pick up a contract and live on of my other dreams to play Pro volleyball in europe.
So all in all it's been a bumpy road with some ups and downs, but I've learnt a lot about myself and life in general over the last couple of years. I'm sure this is gonna help me in the next chapter of my life.
Labels: General


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home