My life through Volleyball: Nathan Roberts

Well this is pretty much a bit of blog about an Australian guy and his many adventures around the world playing volleyball. (as well as various other things)

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Mind and Body

Theres always the old saying that sport is 90% mental. When I was younger I was never really to keen on the theory, but now as i make my way through the professional ranks as a volleyball player I personally find that it is completely true. (if not 99%) However getting the mind into such a state in which you can play at the highest level is easier said than done. I know over the past few weeks at training in Wuppertal I have had some good trainings and some bad ones, thats just the way it goes. However after thinking a lot about my mindset during this time I've come to the conclusion that my mind must work completely different to the norm! Ive come to the theory that if my mind is somewhere else, and i'm not caring about the Volleyball at all I will play really well. I guess it's the case of not over thinking. Whenever there are troubles in my life and im thinking about someone, something or some bad situation I find that I become non-caring to the volleyball, thus more relaxed and then a better player. I mean even physically it makes me jump that 1% higher, hit that 1% harder which at high level Volleyball makes all the difference. Now the problem is I can not always be in the situation of having problems of the court (nor do i want too) So it comes down to how to get your mind into a place where it can be most effective for you. I believe this is what distinguishes the best players from the good players. I guess an example I always look up too is Michael Jordan, he always went out to be 'Michael Jordan' even if he wasn't really needed in a game against say a weaker team he still came and played every game like it was needed. I know personally as a player this inability to go to every game, every training, every weights session in the best mindset I can is what is and can hold me back from being the player I want to be. So I guess I've had my little rave over the issue (i'm still not really sure why, or where I'm actually going with this!) So all that's left to do now is to concentrate and work on the issue as I continue to grow as a player. Unless anyone has a quick fix for me, then let me know!!!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true man I hear ya, if you find that quick fix then you have my email ok :)

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home