My life through Volleyball: Nathan Roberts

Well this is pretty much a bit of blog about an Australian guy and his many adventures around the world playing volleyball. (as well as various other things)

Thursday, October 12, 2006

The first 5 weeks!



Well i guess so far things have been going alright over here in Duetschland. Sitting at 4-1 at the pointy end of the table is a decent enough start, and i've also settled in pretty well here.
The level of volleyball here is clearly much higher than last year, and is certainly against the good teams pushing that international level which is really pleasing. Personally I'm fairly happy with how I have played when given the oppurtunity. Although it's a different situation starting on the bench and not getting so much game time, it's something I have to adjust too. I know I've been close to starting and I'm certainly not a long way behind the starters so it's just a case of making an impact off the bench and taking the oppurtunities i'm getting given. Training is also really good here, (tough but good!) Although it feels like we run a marathon before warming up I feel like I'm pushing myself a lot more than what I have in the past. I definitelly feel very fit (but always very tired) Certainly having 12-13 quality players training at one time makes the game-like drills much more competitive, and gets much more from the team.
As far as away from the volleyball court I have actually learnt how to drive a manual to an acceptable standard! I didn't end up making an arse of myself as many times as I thought I would, now bring on the snow! Living with my flat mates David and Andy has been relativelly smooth sailing, I get along with both guys and their girlfriends Nina and Michi (have no idea if that's spelt correctly) fine. Nina is most of the time and Michi is visiting as often as she can since she lives about 3-4 hrs away. So yes it's a first time living with girls for myself, so I've had to adjust a little. Not so much walking around semi naked and making sure I leave my toothbrush somewhere where I wont pull a 30cm long hair out of it after I've already put it in my mouth!
I guess whats been a little annoying is the inability to go out and have a night out with all the guys. This is due to our games being on sunday or during the week thus far. I guess in a way it's been good with our current training regime but I know some of the guys are itching for the world championships break to let loose a little. However many times we have had the team over to our place for a couple of beers after the game, or gone down the road with Jordan, Tommy and their respective girlfriends Maja and Sasha to have a beer and a kebab, so it certainly hasn't been all bad!
As for the German language........well i'm not knowing that much. Still I think it might be more than what I learnt in Denmark last yr! We have been having lessons, but now we are going to be having proper lessons where we learn how to structure sentences. Rather than just learn word after word after word. Maybe I will learn enough so that Nina will not have to look at my blank face whenever she asks me something in German! Thats the goal anyway.
Selections for the World Championships team is announced on Monday and i'm hoping to get in the team and get back to Australia and then Japan for worlds. Club has said they will let me leave early so i might get 1-2 days in Adelaide as well as a couple extra in Canberra to abuse physio with! So ill also put the team up on the blog when I find out. I've also put a few photos up of my street and my car which i have named Fritz the Fiesta.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger DIEGO said...

Hi Nathan,

that's Diego.
I've some questions about the German league.
May be you don't know but this summer I started an agency for volleyball players. My parten is Jean, the Brasilian guy who were in Aarhus last year. At the moment we only have Brasilian players (pretty goog actually), but we'll try to have Japaneses (with Makoto's cooperation) and I'll try to get in touch with some guy in USA.
When you have time, could you write me few words about the German League?
I know what are the best clubs, what are the average wages for players, how well organized is the league and the clubs; what I don't know is the volleyball level.
I know it's good, but how it's is compared with danish volleyball? Teams work more on technic or on power?
I'd like to discuss about it, if you want you can write to my e-mail diego.cella@poste.it

Talk to you soon

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home