My life through Volleyball: Nathan Roberts

Well this is pretty much a bit of blog about an Australian guy and his many adventures around the world playing volleyball. (as well as various other things)

Monday, December 11, 2006

From One side to the Other

Well the first match back was a biggie, up in Berlin against SCC Berlin. A win would of put us in a nice position in the top 2 or 3. Unfortuntely we lost a 5 setter and went down to 5th position. It was dissapointing to lose to a team that we thought we could of beaten. We werent consistent enough. Even in the 1st and 4th set that we won, we were not able to maintain the lead we had at the beginning of the set, giving SCC momentum into the next. Also in the second we had a swing to go 9-5 up and from there we lost a large run of points. Personally I had a shocking match (As in I think my worst match as a proffesional player in Europe...That bad!!!) I started as opposite and just never found a groove, always seemed to not hit the ball right. Not to much to do what have a good week at training! Good news is after our cup win (ill talk about in minute) we have drawn SCC in the quarters of the cup. As you could well imgaine we are looking to extract some revenge!

The following week we travelled right down to the south of Germany on the Swiss border to the charming town of Konstanz. A beautiful little place on a massive lake. Could imagine it would be great over summer. So anyway the greatest dissapointment of the day was my inability to get to Switzerland! It must be an Australian thing (or just a me thing) but I find it really annoying to get within a few kilometres (in this case 100 metres) and not actually set foot in the country. This has now happened twice with Switzerland, i think it's gonna become my 'bogey' country. I realise it's probably exactly the same as Germany....but thats not the point! I wanna say I've been there!!!
So anyway Konstanz didn't put up a massive fight, we won convincingly 3-0. Even though it was a 3rd division team it felt to me that a lot of the guys were happy to get back in the winners circle. After the tournamnet and the loss last week I think some of the guys were anxious for a win. Hopefully this helps over the next few weeks. 2 Big games, next weekend against Champions League team Duren. Then a match up with the Berliners. Hopefully we can train and play well and set ourselves up for a good post-xmas season!







Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home